Thursday, December 31, 2015

GEORGIA ON MY MIND....

 2015 was clearly a year of growth for me. Many significant things happened that have enriched my life and clarified my path.
In addition to revealing and solidifying my relationship with my Dad, I have reconnected with more long time friends as well as welcoming many new friends and also dealt with the excess baggage I have been carrying from other relationships that were not enhancing my life. My relationships with my core family has improved and even expanded to include others and my life with my wonderful wife just gets better every day. 2016 will make it four years Ngoc and I have been together, and I have to say, I have never had a better partner in life. All of our kids are steadily progressing well and we are proud of all of them.
My first Veteran's Tour of Vietnam went very well. And I finally got my first book published after a five year delay with the next one already in the works.
I feel much more in touch this New Year and centered than ever before in my life. I am at a place where my options are almost wide open. Ngoc and I have many plans for new ventures that we hope to develop in the year ahead.
I am even more aware of all of this after the phone call I received last night.
It is funny how things happen. Ngoc and I were just entering the local Albertson’s store to pick up some chicken for dinner last night when my phone rang. It was a number from Union Point, Georgia, which I did not recognize. Normally, I might let such a call go to voice mail, especially after receiving so many unwanted calls lately, like political or solicitation calls, but I decided to answer it.
“Hello. I would like to talk to Skip Nelson please” said the clear, articulate voice on the other end of the line. “This is Skip Nelson” I said. He continued, “I am Stephen ________ and I am calling concerning my older brother, who is a Vietnam Veteran. Our mother recently passed away and I have been left in charge of care for my brother. Since returning from Vietnam, he has been troubled and reclusive. I just took him to the doctor for the first time in 45 years. He will not speak and avoids contact with anyone. He was stationed in Quy Nhon and I found your organization and your name on the internet. I am very sorry to bother you but I was hoping that you could give me some back ground that would help me understand better what he went through and why he might be in this condition. I hope you can help.”
Hook taken and set.
I asked Stephen to call me back in an hour when I was at home, which he did, and we talked at length. He told me he had gone to the trouble of obtaining all of his brother’s medical and military records from the Army Records Center, he had contacted the Veteran’s Administration and had gotten his brother “in the system” for care and evaluation. I commended him for doing what he was doing. What a remarkable act in the name of love.
Talking to Stephen, I got very emotional. At times, I found it hard to speak and tears welled up in my eyes. My emotions were both of sadness and happiness and uplifting of spirit.
My sadness was triggered by the condition of his brother, who has suffered for over 40 years, alone and without relief. My happiness and uplifting of spirit were triggered by the overwhelming sense of brotherly love and understanding that this young man was showing for his older, troubled brother and his mission to seek solutions to help him. That is what being a brother and family is all about. Sadly, many do not understand this. Many throw blame and insults. Still fewer will be like Stephen and actually do something to help. He doesn't have to.
There are way too many of these cases. Some people, although they are physically present never “came home”. It is still happening today, from Iraq and Afganistan. If we can afford to spend billions to fight wars, we should be able to spend enough to help those who fought them when they are in need.
I asked him to email me some of his brother’s records so I could get a better idea of what the circumstances were that may have caused his condition and that hopefully, together, we could do something that would help bring his brother home. Stephen agreed and we will be talking again soon. I am determined to do all I can to help bring this "brother" home.
What a wonderfully spiritual way to end the year………and to start another. I will probably never refuse another phone call.
Happy New Year everyone!!!! Broaden your horizons. Enhance your understanding. Break down walls. Enrich your lives and those around you. It is our job to lift people up, not push people down.
Don’t forget to reach out when you have an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment