Saturday, December 5, 2015

Happy Holidays.....



The period from November through February has traditionally been a time of celebration for every religion or culture.

It started over 6,000 years ago with the celebration of the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, which occurs on December 21.

The “Holiday Season” as we know it, has many holidays, some of which are celebrated for a week or more.


Islamic New Year is celebrated anywhere from late September until late December.

Thanksgiving is celebrated the last Thursday in November by most, regardless of religious beliefs.

Bodhi Day is a Buddhist holiday celebrated on December 8, which is the day when the Buddha attained enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree.

The Jewish holiday of Hanukah also falls during the “Holiday Season, this year begins on December 6 and goes until December 14.

Christmas, the celebration of Jesus’ birthday, which actually occurred originally sometime in March or April, was originally incorporated into the Winter Solstice celebration and is now celebrated on December 25.

The African holiday Kwanzaa is celebrated from December 26 until January 1.

Japanese New Year, Shogatsu, is celebrated from December 28 until January 5.

The Hindu holiday, Lohri, also a solstice celebration, is celebrated on January 13.

Lunar New Year is celebrated usually in the month of January, next year on February 8 and goes for two weeks.

Holidays in this time of year are traditionally viewed as a way to celebrate the end of the year and looking forward to a new year; a time of reflection and rebirth.

This is a spiritual time for all people, even those who are not religious.

Personally, I have been wishing everyone “Happy Holidays” since the early 1960’s, when I realized that many of my friends did not celebrate Christmas as I did. I have always considered it an act of inclusion and respect.

I do not know the conditions where others live, but I know that saying “Merry Christmas” in my world is just as popular as ever. I have never seen anyone being told not to say it. It seems to me that if you are secure in your beliefs, diversity should not bother you.

I do think, however, as we get more educated in the diverse culture that we have here in America, more people are showing respect to all people, and have adapted to the more inclusive term of “Happy Holidays”.

Many businesses, whose main goal is to attract a customer base and make money, have switched to using “Happy Holidays” as a way to sell more stuff to those who do not celebrate Christmas. I thought all those who claim “Christmas is being stolen” or somehow destroyed or depleted, love business and making money.

It does not bother me one bit.

I prefer to be inclusive. I prefer to respect all people’s beliefs and do not attempt to impose my beliefs on others.

The “War on Christmas” is a hoax. It does not exist. It is distracting you from the more important issues of our day.

Do not be mislead.

Have a Wonderful Holiday Season, no matter what your beliefs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment